Thursday, April 8, 2010

An Epic Road Trip - The Back Story

So as many of you know, I love to take pictures. In an effort to increase my photo taking abilities and fulfill a requirement for my degree I decided to take a black & white photography class last year. It turned out to be one of my favorite classes EVER!

One night I was talking with my dad and he pulled out this old photo album from my grandfather. The album is a meticulous record of an epic road trip my grandpa went on with 3 of his buddies in 1937, at the age of 24. In the heart of the Great Depression he went on a cross country journey for fun. They traveled 6,300 miles and recorded every last bit of it on paper and in pictures.
My plan is to retrace the exact same route, with a short detour up to Seattle to photograph my step-sisters wedding, and recapture as many of the photos as possible... 73 years later! I'll be shooting both B&W film as well as digital. The trip will of course have a bit of a modern twist and you can follow my progress on this blog as I go. I wanted to leave on May 5th because that's the date my grandpa left, but I'm going to have to leave on the 6th. I'm super stoked about this adventure!!

8 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I can't wait to follow your progress and hear/see your trip when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great adventure. I am looking forward to seeing the photos and reading the stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible piece of family history! I am so excited for you to take on this adventure and to re-trace his steps. Definitely a trip I would take (if I have family roots to follow! haha) Can't wait to see the pictures and to hear about your adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you work your way across the country enroute with the best man to Lynn's wedding with you, I can't help but have visions of The HAngover running through my head. Looking forward to your blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...congrats Phil. Glad to see you doing big things. Keep it coming, can't wait to listen/read more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Phil- this is so cool, can't wait to see some shots. travel safe, drink a lot and enjoy every moment. rt

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah Boys - Righteous Road Trip!
    900 miles in one day? Serious windshield time and you bested my 875 mile run enroute from Milford, CT back to Mpls in 1987 - yes we had cars back then...
    GREAT family history Phil and Brandon can add this to his road trip resume.
    By the way guys, I did check out The Brutes and they are a Mpls based alt band that sound good on youtube the drummer is supposed to be sic and the rest of the band sounds good too...we will have to catch them when they play back in town later this summer.
    Drive safe and God Speed...
    -Brandon's Daddy

    ReplyDelete