Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 12 - Seattle to Norris

It's a beautiful Monday morning in Lynwood, WA at my aunt and uncles home. I woke up at 5am to beat traffic through the city and they were nice enough to pack me a lunch! Thanks guys! I took off at 5:30am and drove through to Portland where I met back up with my grandpas original course. I needed to find a pic in downtown Portland and didn't really have anything to go on as I hadn't been able to contact the historic society.

I pulled over to see if I could find the historic district and stumbled upon a crappy looking building with a sign that read VooDoo Donuts. I had heard of this in Seattle from someone and here I was in front of it! I had to check it out... plus if you know me, you know that I have trouble passing on donuts!

I asked the skinny, tattooed punk girl that was behind the counter if they had any signature donuts. BINGO! Behold the Maple Bacon Donut! Look at this thing! It's beautiful! And it tasted 10x better than it looks! So for whatever reason I decided to ask this girl about my quest. I didn't think there was a chance in hell that she would know where the pic was taken (she was all of 22) but to my surprise she looked at the photo and said I know where that is! WTF?! Really?! I just about dropped my coffee! She told me the cross street she thought it was at and I headed off. Upon arrival at her coordinates it did indeed look like the background save for one thing... the street was too narrow. But I knew I was close so I started driving around. After a few frustrating stops, I ran into a gentleman, Christian, that was driving a sweet old car. After a little chit chat about his ride I asked him if he knew where this photo might be. He said that there use to be light rail tracks that ran up Burnside and he also directed me to a famous bookstore called Powell's that would have a book with old photos of Portland. As I was walking away he said I should come check out his restaurant Chez Joly which I happened to have parked in front of. I unfortunately didn't have time but I looked it up and it looks super cool. I hope I can make it back there. Thanks for the invite Christian! Anyway, so I went to the bookstore, found the book and the photo and then found the exact intersection that the photo was taken on. It was taken on the corner of W Burnside and NW 6th Ave. One of the buildings is still there.

Back on the road I was headed east on the Columbia River. Just outside of Portland I drove by Multnomah Falls and stopped for some pics. This thing is amazing! I wish I had time to climb all the way up to the top.

After the falls there was some great river scenery for a while and then I headed into Washington. As I was driving I got a pic of this bird flying over the highway. Not quite sure what kind it was but it was huge.

Around Walla Walla, Washington (I'm serious, look it up) I started noticing some sweet vineyards. I've tried some Washington and Oregon wines before and it was cool to see all the vineyards on the side of the road. Not a bad drive. After that the drive got pretty boring. There is literally nothing for miles between Walla Walla and Spokane. Spokane was okay and then I hit Idaho which was actually pretty cool.

Then on to Montana where I got this beautiful sunset. I kept driving until I couldn't anymore and crashed in my car for a couple hours in Norris, MT. I think I covered like 900 miles today. In the morning... Yellow Stone! Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment