Sunday, January 29, 2012

Holy Lederhosen!

Let me start out with an apology for totally going MIA on this blog for almost a year. I promise to be much better with it this year!

So welcome to 2012! I'm kicking off my year in grand fashion... I moved to Germany! Last year I visited 8 countries. On that list was Germany. I came here to run a marathon in Berlin and experience Oktoberfest in Munich. Well, I wound up meeting a girl and falling in love. After a long courtship (three weeks on Skype) and some very careful contemplation I started the planning process to move... And by that I mean she said "you should move here" and I said "okay, see you in two months!" I've always wanted to live overseas but I never had a compelling reason to do it. Well, this is about as compelling as it gets. But I'll tell you more of that story later.

As of today, I've been in Munich for just shy of three weeks. Oddly enough I don't feel as displaced as I thought I might. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I already know a couple people here from back home. Allianz is based here in Munich but their US headquarters are back in Minneapolis, MN. So some of my friends are here on projects which is really cool. The other night I played poker with 5 guys from Minneapolis. It's kind of weird.

Germany is great though! At least Bavaria, which is what I'm experiencing. The city is clean, the food is good, beer is considered a food (I'm going to be well 'fed'), and everyone bikes and/or walks everywhere. Crime is kind of an issue though... I mean they had an assault like three years ago. No, seriously, this is one of the safest cities I've ever even heard of. The cops have to set speed traps for bikers they get so bored!

Another amazing thing is how well behaved the dogs are! I rarely see a dog on a leash, they never bark and they will wait outside grocery stores and cafe's for their owners like dudes waiting at Macy's for their wives. They just sit there. Walkers, bikers, kids, other dogs, nothing phases them. It's like the whole dog community has a sense of decorum. It's quite nice.

I'm still getting used to the idea of being an expat but it's been fun so far. I'm excited to travel around Europe and expand my horizons and my knowledge base even further. I'll keep writing as I keep exploring. You can subscribe to updates on the right side of the page. Here's to new adventures! Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds amazing! I think it's an absolute indictment of us Americans that European children and dogs are so well behaved and ours are, well.... have you been to a dog park or a Walmart lately? Rock on, Phil!

    ReplyDelete